Calipers, 71 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Calipers, 71 MGB
From: JstBob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:01:42 EDT
After receiving two replies to my query about a locked up caliper last week. I
decided to tackle the problem. A collapsed hose was ruled out as I had just
replaced hoses less than two years ago. The Master Cylinder is also relatively
new. I tried cleaning the mounts where the pads rest on the caliper, all with
no results. The calipers would still not release as normal.

I decided to start at the beginning, the brake pedal. I was surprised to find
that the pedal would not return to its normal position. When I grabbed the
pedal and moved it back the brakes released!! Thinking it was the return
spring I checked this to find it in good condition. The pedal arm seemed to
move quite stiff. I removed the pedal box cover (why do we have this? Its only
function seems to hold the stop light switch) and found that the pedal arm had
indeed a bit of rust on the bushing. This was causing the pedal to bind and
not travel its normal distance. Anyway a bit of WD-40 and my trouble is gone.
The brakes release and I find the B roles a lot better. I must have been
traveling with the brakes on for a while. I will have to make these points a
periodic lubrication check. I guess I can spray them from below and not have
to remove the cover.

Always Learning
Bob, 71 mgb running fast and straight!!