Re: "Out of Breath" '77 MGB

To: <Speedo79@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: "Out of Breath" '77 MGB
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:50:05 -0400
I chased down a similar problem on my 72 B a couple years ago.  Here's a
general indicator to determine if your problem is fuel related or ignition
related:

1)  If it dies suddenly, with no hesitation, it's probably ignition.
2)  If it sputters, fades, or anything of the like, it's probably fuel
related.

You say the car sputtered before it died, and from everything you've told
me, you need to replace/rebuild your fuel pump.  My car had the same
symptoms.  It would sputter and die, and after 10/15 minutes of tinkering,
it would run fine again for a while, then die again.  This will get
progressively worse until the car won't run at all.

Personally, with anything that is mecanically important to the car, my
general rule is buy new, rather than screw around rebuilding it.  I've had
too many experiences with bad rebuilds at my own fault or the fault of a
shop to bother getting stuck with the same problem again.

=J=