Re: "Out of Breath" '77 MGB

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>, <Speedo79@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: "Out of Breath" '77 MGB
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:33:10 -0400
At 01:50 PM 8/17/98 -0400, Jason F. Dutt wrote:
>I chased down a similar problem on my 72 B a couple years ago.  Here's a
>general indicator to determine if your problem is fuel related or ignition
>related:
>
>1)  If it dies suddenly, with no hesitation, it's probably ignition.
>2)  If it sputters, fades, or anything of the like, it's probably fuel
>related.
>
>You say the car sputtered before it died, and from everything you've told
>me, you need to replace/rebuild your fuel pump.  My car had the same
>symptoms.  It would sputter and die, and after 10/15 minutes of tinkering,
>it would run fine again for a while, then die again.  This will get
>progressively worse until the car won't run at all.
>
>Personally, with anything that is mecanically important to the car, my
>general rule is buy new, rather than screw around rebuilding it.  I've had
>too many experiences with bad rebuilds at my own fault or the fault of a
>shop to bother getting stuck with the same problem again.

Had a similar problem with my MGA. After replacing needle and seats in
carbs, cleaning the bowls, replacing the inline filter before the carbs , I
discovered two other inline filters between the tank and the fuel pump that
hadn't been changed since the ice age. Does your pump tick slowly after the
car dies? Is the pump hot? If so, you have a fuel blockage before the
pump.Could be hidden in line filters, blocked screen in the tank pick up,
or the screen in the filter inlet.

Mike