Anteenas and Radios

To: "'fpixley@kingston.net'" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Subject: Anteenas and Radios
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 19:15:56 -0500
Fred,

Just go to your local Radio Shack and get their $9.95 antenna. Probably cost
you much  more in Canadian $. The part number in my catalog is 12-1306. I
don't know about Canada, but cars shipped to the US had after market radios
installed. The were mostly Motorola or Automatic Electric. I have three
radios for MGs, two say British Leyland, and one says British Motor Corp.
Two are definitely Motorolas, and one is unidentified. It is probably an
Automatic Electric. You can usually tell by taking the cover off and looking
at the parts.

This means that the antennas were also local. When I was 15 I helped out in
a radio repair shop and we used the exact same antenna that RS sells. You
can even consider it original. There probable was a factory advisory on
where to drill the hole, but anywhere would work.

One caveat. There is also a European (not doubt DIN) antenna size, but none
of my three LBCs have that size. Your previous owner might have been the
first to install the radio and used one of them. I think the size you
measured is the correct one for the part number above. Check it out and then
see if you can get one for less than RS. Their US price is probably the
lowest, but I can't speak for Canada.

Now for an appeal to the list. Does anyone have a Radiomobile radio. They
were the ones installed in the cars in England. They have several short wave
bands, but no FM. As a Ham I am interested in being able to listen to short
wave stations. It need not be working, but the old radios I have all worked
when I got them even if they were rusty. Maybe my luck will hold. Some
Balupunct radios imported to the US also had several short wave bands.

Sorry to go on so long. If you have any questions don't hesitate. I'll try
to be shorter next time.

Jack