Re: Current flow through spark plug

To: matthews@avanticorp.com (Simon Matthews), ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: Current flow through spark plug
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:32:36
At 07:58 AM 8/19/98 -0700, Simon Matthews wrote:
>Guys, look at the polarities on the diagrams that Barney posted.
>
>The voltage on the points is highly positive. The voltage at the plug is
highly negative. That means that current (not electrons) flows from the
centre electrode of the plug TOWARDS the capacitor -- which would increase
its charge.

For those who didn't catch it, the diagram on my web site is for a negative
ground system (with a ballast resistor).  The current flowing from the plug
towards the capacitor is not increasing the charge on the capacitor, it is
decreasing the charge already on the capacitor.  (It is increasing the
number of electrons on that side of the capacitor.)  Bear in mind that the
charge can be positive or negative, and there is an equal but opposite
charge on opposing sides of the capacitor.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude