Re: Electrical troubles

To: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Subject: Re: Electrical troubles
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:53:36 -0400
Cordell, Ralph PhD wrote:

> I soldered all the bullet connectors on my '59 MGA.  I first stripped the
> insulation off the wire for about 1/4".  Then I used a propane torch and
> needle nose pliers to heat the connector and fill it with solder.  Before it
> could cool I slipped the wire into the molten solder.  I removed any excess
> solder with a fine mill file.

  I would suggest soldering with a real iron instead. They can
be had for around $10 or less.

  I worry that the cold wire jammed into the liquid solder
without any flux would not make the best connection.

  The normal plan involves assembling the joint first. This
also gives a solid electrical connection even without
solder. Then heat both contacts and apply fluxed solder. The
hot surfaces work with the flux to ensure a good bond.

  I guess if you must do it your way, a bit of flux on
the wire to jam in might help a little.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933