Re: engine dies part 2

To: "Arts Council" <artscape@clas.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: engine dies part 2
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:55:08 -0400
If that's the case, the problem is likely to be the ignition system.
Unfortunatly, my experience in that area is limited.  The only ignition
problem I've had involved the "brain box" being bad on a late model B I
owned once.  Same symptoms as yours, but since your car is a 71, I assume
you don't have electronic ignition.  The places I would check would be as
follows:

1)  All conections that affect the ignition.  This includes the ignition
switch itself.  If there is a faulty or intermittent connection in the
switch (involving the brown wire, I think), it will kill the engine.  As
weird as this sounds, I've heard of two separate instances where this was
the cause.  Trace all connecitons clear to the spark plugs and distributor
for loose/corroded connections.  Also check the ground(s), and make sure
it's making proper contact.

2)  Bad coil.

3)  Points on the distributor worn/out of alignment.

That's really all there is to your ignition system, so if the problem lies
there, it's in there somewhere.  Sorry I can't be of more help...

=J=