Re: Sticky First Gear

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sticky First Gear
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:02:35 +0000
martens@auditor.sk.ca wrote:

> Isn't it pretty hard on the gearbox to be sitting with the clutch in
> at stops?  I always pop into neutral at a stoplight to minimize
> pressure on the thrust washer and at the throwout bearing.  Anybody
> else have any thoughts on this?

It depends on how long I will be stopped.  Eveer since I had a very
frightening experience with an out-of-control vehicle sliding up behind
me and me fumbling to get the vehicle in gear QUICKLY to get out of the
way, I tend to leave it in first gear with the clutch in unless I will
be sitting there for a while (at lights or whatever).

Then I always pop it into first in anticipation of the change of lights
to green for that quick getaway... being a rev head from my youth I
always feel the need to be first away from the lights :-)

Some people who sit there with the handbrake on and the car in neutral
until the lights actually change can bug me if it means that they only
manage to take off just before the lights change again - leaving me and
a bunch of others sitting there fuming whilst they toddle on their merry
way.

MGA's excepted from this, of course :-)

(Jackrabbit) Eric
'68 MGB