RE: Frustrated probably long

To: RossOvercash <jroverca@tiac.net>, MG LIST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Frustrated probably long
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:25:32 -0600
> When I remove the distributor cap, after lioning up timing marks,
and
> pulling plugs, low and behold the rotor is 180 degrees off???????
Well I
> say to myself am I stupid or what?  I pulled the dizzy installed the
points
> and guess what, it will only go back in with the rotor 180 degrees
off!
> Tried it with theold one and low and behold the same thing.  I look
at the
> key on the dizzy and it appears to be concentric yet it will only
fit in one
> way.

First make sure you are on the compression stroke.  Remember you have
two times when the #1 cylinder is at the top of the stroke.  When it
is on compression the rotor should point to the #1 cylinder.  You may
have lined up the marks on the exhaust stroke.

The drive dog on the dizzy is eccentric not concentric.  If you look
closely it is slightly off center and can only be installed in the
engine one way.  The dog can however be installed on the dizzy 180
degrees off.  On my spare, which I have no idea if it is correct, when
I turn the distributor upside down and point the rotor toward me the
dog is slightly to the right of center.  To turn the dog 180 degrees
just knock the round pin out and rotate the dog and reinstall the pin.
Before you do this make sure this is the problem.

> What has happened?  I am completely baffeled and  frustrated.  I
suppose I
> can reverse the plug order go 2431 instead of 1342 but will that
really work
> and will I cause someother type of problem.  The real question is
what has
> happened and what do I need to do to fix it.

Yes, changing the plug order will work (if you are off 180 degrees),
but you still have to fire 1342.  You need to "rotate" the wire
position on the dizzy cap 180 degrees.  Number one will be in the 7
o'clock position, not the 2 o'clock position.

Larry Hoy
Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"