Frustrated probably long

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "BAMG Club" <Mymgmidget@aol.com;>
Subject: Frustrated probably long
From: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:15:27 -0400
OK here goes,

I'm switching out a non functioning dizzy for the one I recently aquired
from a list member.  I pulled the plugs lined up timing marks (no 1 was TDC.
Pulled old dizzy out.  Attached clamping plate and intalled replacement
dizzy.  All is well so far.  Tighten up bolts on clamping plate but still
leave a bit of play, for adjustments.  Reinstall plugs, connect all leads,
double checking along the way.  Connect remote starter button, turn on
ignition, fuel is flowing, press button starter is turning, nothing else
happens.  Try a few more times, I get a a little back fire and thats it.
Hook up timing light to be sure I'm getting spark.  No prob there.  Take a
break and think things through.

I had installed the ignitor in the replacement dizzy prior to installing the
dizzy.  Since you can't (I haven't figured it out) set static timing with
the ignitor installed I decide to put the points and condensor back in.  You
see I figutre if I set the static timing the car should start!! Yes I'm slow
on the up take but you have to understand I haven't been able to drive this
car since February and I'm anxious.  I digress (sp).

When I remove the distributor cap, after lioning up timing marks, and
pulling plugs, low and behold the rotor is 180 degrees off???????  Well I
say to myself am I stupid or what?  I pulled the dizzy installed the points
and guess what, it will only go back in with the rotor 180 degrees off!
Tried it with theold one and low and behold the same thing.  I look at the
key on the dizzy and it appears to be concentric yet it will only fit in one
way.

What has happened?  I am completely baffeled and frustrated.  I suppose I
can reverse the plug order go 2431 instead of 1342 but will that really work
and will I cause someother type of problem.  The real question is what has
happened and what do I need to do to fix it.

Thanks for any and all replies,

Safety Fast!!

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA
http://www.tiac.net/users/jroverca/index.htm