Re: Cam vs. Rockers

To: "frank krajewski" <frankk@businesson.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Cam vs. Rockers
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:02:23 -0700
Frank....

The roller rockers by themselves will only give you a slightly higher valve
lift (depending on the ratio) and very slightly less friction. If your
existing camshaft has worn lobes, or if anything else in your engine is not
performing up to par, they won't add anything worthwhile to your engine's
performance.

As for having to "remove and rebuild" the engine to change the camshaft, not
true. It's quite possible to change the camshaft with the engine in the car.
(I covered this procedure in a post a few months ago.) We do it quite
frequently as catalytic converter-equipped MGBs often need new cams. (The
heat of the cat - especially in an engine which is running too rich - bakes
the oil off the cam when the engine is parked, so "dry" starts are the norm
for the camshaft in these engines.)

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center