Expensive oddity - just off topic

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Expensive oddity - just off topic
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:40:33 EDT
My friend with the knack for finding great cars phoned  today and left a
message thet i was to get over there WITHOUT FAIL before he left at
seven.
Thinking that either he'd found part of one of my cars on the floor, or
that he was doubling the price of the Riley i bolted over in the 72 -
Down in his dungeon, along with his usual projects was a new one, a 1947
Jag,  an XK120, it was wet.......
On closer inspection it was easy to see that this was a ground up
restoration in pristine condition however the reason it was wet was that
my friend had spent the afternoon washing dust and batsh*t off it.
Apparently, a guy called him and asked him to look at it - it was his
parents car and was totally rebuilt in 1985, once rebuilt it was put in a
garage and the  next time it came out was today!!! - it was never driven
after the restoration - its unbelievable! everything on it is restored
including porcelain manifolds, powdercoat or similar underneath, new
leather interior, new calico top....and 40 lbs of batsh*t on the new BRG
paint (which is now a little stained but i think will cut out)
I know nothing about Jags except that theyre bloody expensive and usually
beautiful but this one is a paradox, the restoration must have cost over
20 grand and i can only assume that the couple were elderly and didnt get
to enjoy it.
My friend is going to talk to the guy tomorrow and my bet is that it ends
up in his stable - i didnt ask him how honest he intends to be..... what
would YOU do??

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT