Marina engine in MGB and the pilot bushing

Subject: Marina engine in MGB and the pilot bushing
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:26:05 -0500
I replaced the bad engine in my pre-RB '74 B with an Austin Marina engine
back in '83. I can remember I had to install the rear plate and flywheel
from the B motor. I used the Austin clutch plate and disc.

The front plate was a little different so the right B engine mount wouldn't
go right on but I drilled a hole   and it worked OK. I would have changed
the front plate but taking off the damper was more trouble than I could
deal with at the time.

I can't remember any problem with the pilot bushing but I may have replaced
it with a different sized one. The clutch lasted a long time before the
springs fell out and I had to replace it. Up until last year I had the
masking tape still wrapped on an old 3/8 ratchet used to line up the new disc.

The manual choke worked from the B handle and the throttle cable connected
uneventfully. It had the single HIF-6 carb.

It is entirely possible that the engine came out of a car with an auto
trans so I may have blissfully installed a pilot bushing to fit the
application.

I remember the car as very reliable and while it leaked it wasn't nearly as
bad as my '79 is now.
Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB - '89 T10 Blazer
Steve's HotRod World