Re: New Ignition Switch Install Question - 73B

To: Nick Coleman <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Subject: Re: New Ignition Switch Install Question - 73B
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:27:00 +0000
Nick Coleman wrote:

> Ordered a new Ignition Switch and Wiring Harness from VB for my 73B.  Should
> arrive tonight.
>
> Anyway, they said it did not include an anti-run-on connection.  I looked
> through the wiring diagram in Bentley's and can't find the anti-run-on
> connection to the inanition switch. I know it has one.
>
> The question is, if I need to wire that in, can I splice it into an existing
> wire on the new wiring harness.  To which one -- accessory wire?

Nick - the ignition switch for systems with the anti-run-on valve has seven
terminals, the others five or less.  You need something that supplies 12v when
the
ignition is off.  The accessory position usually carries 12v while the key is
in
the first (accessory) or second (running) position, this is no good for the
anti-run-on.  You could try a relay with a break contact with the coil
connected to
the ignition and ground and the contacts connected to brown and the anti-run-on
fuse (slate).  This would connect the required 12v to the anti-run-on when the
ignition was off, the relay un-operated and the contact closed.  Bear in mind
that
the relay will be operated all the time the engine is running, no different to
the
ignition relay, though.

PaulH.