Re: Fan shroud

To: RJohn50603@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fan shroud
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 07:56:11
At 11:07 PM 8/27/98 EDT, RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:
>I recall seeing a catalog from someone with fan shrouds for MGA's and
MGB's very recently for $50, but I can't seem to find the catalog.

>Got the engine out of my '73 (with A/C) and I want to add a shroud when it
goes back in.

Medina Motorsports, Inc., Medina OH  Ph: 800-700-7057 or 330-225-8026

I bought one last summer for my MGA just before the Alaska trip, figured on
spending some time in Texas in July.  I had it shipped to Texas when I hit
the road and installed it when I got there.  My order actually went to
Specialty Parts and Services in Medina, Ohio.  I don't know what relation
they may have to Medina Motorsports.  I believe the price at the time was
$45 plus shipping.

On the plus side, it does help, especially while idling or putzing around
town at slow speed in hot weather.

On the minus side, the quality left something to be desired, so it wasn't a
20 minute installation like they claim.  It wasn't formed exactly right, so
it took a minor bit of modifying during installation to make it fit.  I
think the job took more like 45 minutes to an hour.  And you may cut your
fingers a few times in the process.  It was formed by bending from a flat
sheet of galvanized steel, and looked like not much effort expended at
deburring.

I also have the tendency to remove the radiator periodically, so the shroud
ends up being a little bit of extra effort during maintainance.  I
experienced that just 10 days later when I had to replace the water pump.
I removed the shroud last  fall, the first time I had to pull the engine,
and it's still hanging on the wall.  It isn't strictly legal for SCCA
autocross in Stock class, and I don't idle around town all that much
anyway.  Which reminds me:  Anybody want to buy an MGA fan shroud for $30,
shipping included?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a slightly special radiator)