Ignoring trouble signs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ignoring trouble signs
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:00:15 -0500
-----------------------------
Bob Allen Wrote:

I tried that once. The big down side is that she takes half the stuff with
her.

Have you replaced the carbon brushes in the back of the generator?
long since been cured.
-------------------------------

You are both right, of course.  Many of us have bought LBC's from DPO's who
used the "ignore it and hope it goes away" approach to maintenance.  Cars
subjected to this over periods of time become rolling time bombs.  LBC's in
particular respond poorly to such treatment since they are maintenance
intensive by nature.

Let me rephrase my present situation.  The car refuse to start four times
while on a road trip.  Three times were after prolonged trips with the
lights on.  The fourth was right away after it was shut down at a gas
station.   When it did not start, the generator light went out indicating a
lack of smoke from the battery either because the battery was depleted or
the pipes were faulty.  A push start from Lindsay got us going and once the
car was running, everything functioned normally.  The fourth and last time
it started by itself after a few minuted to cool down.

Once the A was home,  I went over the connections looking for any loose
ones.  None were found.  I also checked voltage drop along the cables but
found nothing surprising.  A voltage check showed that the generator was
putting out about the correct amount of juice.  Said generator was
overhauled last winter with new brushes and bearings.  Furthermore, at
night you can see the light dim at idle then brighten with a few revs so I
know that the generator is putting out.  Since the generator is working and
not putting out grossly too much voltage- as far as I can tell with my 10
year old Radio Shack analog VOM- amd the car is starting fine now, I am
going to wait and see if the problem reoccurs at which point I will see if
the voltage drop problem is at the battery (bad battery) or in the cabling
(bad connection).  I suspect the battery since it is fairly old.

However, Barney, after reading your post.  I do believe that I will check
the starter bolts just to be on the safe side.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA- now with 1250 miles since changing to Mobil 1 and still doesn't
need any oil added.  This worries me.