RE: Ignoring trouble signs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Ignoring trouble signs
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:19:45 -0500
> You are both right, of course.  Many of us have bought LBC's
> from DPO's who
> used the "ignore it and hope it goes away" approach to
> maintenance.  Cars
> subjected to this over periods of time become rolling time
> bombs.  LBC's in
> particular respond poorly to such treatment since they are maintenance
> intensive by nature.

        Boy, don't I know it. One or more DPO's on my car must have
written the book on this. Among the many neglected items:

                1) Distributor advance plate crimp failure - DPO fix =
safety wired wide open.
                2) Heater valve leak - DPO fix = wired wide open (full
heat - just the thing for this Texas summer).
                3) Rear U-joint non-lubed - wore completely through rear
yoke on prop shaft.
                4) Various switches removed and replaced with
hardware-store toggles.
                5) Various wires pulled and taped off.
                6) Exhaust system patched in several places.

        This is only what I've found so far.

Dan Pockrus
'74 CBB