Re: Tranny Oil again (Sorry)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tranny Oil again (Sorry)
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:08:21 -0500
At 01:50 PM 8/28/98 -0400, Larry Macy wrote:

>I am planning on changing the lubricant in the tranny of my 78 Midget. As
>I recall the consensus of opinion (if there is such a thing on the list)
>was to go with 20w50 engine oil. Now the MG Manual (factory issue) says
>90wt for any driving where the temp is above 10F.
>
>Thoughts??

Larry-

I recall reading that gear oil weights are numerically double of engine oil
weights (i.e 100 wt. gear oil has the same viscosity as 50 wt. engine oil),
but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that.

You've got my vote for 20W50 motor oil as being suitable for our trannies,
carb dampers, and as cat repellent.  :)

Regards,

Rich Mason
'73 MGB