Re: Tranny Oil again (Sorry)

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Tranny Oil again (Sorry)
From: gorms68@juno.com (C A G)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:12:31 -0700
I recently replaced the fluid in the gearbox of my 1975 Midget. Though it
shifts with no problem it wines while decelerating in third gear. I'm
pretty sure it is the throw out bearing. It has been like this for at
least five years now. My father-in-law suggested I change the fluid to
look for metal and increase the weight of the gear oil when I refill.
Well no metal in the old oil and 140 wt in the gearbox and the Midget is
ready to go again with a slightly subdued whine from the tranny. Since I
live in Southern CA where the temp. is around 100 F in the summertime the
heavier oil works just fine. I use 20-50 wt motor oil in the engine only.
The manual I have specifies 90 wt gear oil for the transmission on all
1500 Midgets. The only trick is putting it in the filler hole. Pump
slowly until it leaks out and you should have no problem.

Good Luck!

Chris Gorman
75 Midget
70 B