Re: Oil Filler Cap, Vented or not Vented

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Filler Cap, Vented or not Vented
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:13:35 -0400
BobMGT@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 71 B with the smog stuff removed. The little tube comming out of the
> valve cover is blocked. (I have no idea what it originally hooked up to.)

  Originally went to the intake manifold through a PCV (and possibly
through a charcoal canister).

  The goal was to use the vacuum of the intake manifold to
suck crankcase gases out of the engine.

> catalogs say that the 71s take a none vented filler cap, but with that tube
> blocked should I be using a vented one? What happens when you use the wrong
> cap?

  If you use a VENTED cap when you shouldn't, you have a vacuum
leak. The intake manifold sucks in through the valve cover, and
the air just comes in from the vent in the cap.

  If you use a NON-VENTED cap when you shouldn't, well, you
are likely ok as long as there is some place for the crankcase
to vent. You'll run into a problem if the gas and pressure
caused by blowby has nowhere to go, because it will find a place
eventually.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933