Flat towing MGB (part 2)

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Flat towing MGB (part 2)
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:33:11 -0700
Hi listers and, especially, responders to my initial post on the topic.

     I have decided that I will flat tow the B from central Vermont to Plymouth,
Mass. (It's almost all downhill)  I'm planning to tow it from the front by
attaching my towbar brackets to the RB mounting plates with 7/16 bolts, using a
couple of the shim plates for added stiffness. The outer mounting holes are 24
inches on center. Called the towbar manufacturer today to ask about minimum
spacing.  They said that 26 inches is the normal minimum but the car's narrow
track lets it work at 24 with no expected problems.

     I will be scribing, disconnecting and tying up the driveshaft.  I've
considered the option of overfilling the transmission with oil, and rejected
it.  It's just not worth taking a chance on damaging the transmission.  If I
were really more conversant about transmission innards I might listen to my own
counsel.  However, being an ignorant newbie, I'll gladly accept the wisdom of
the list, which is to disconnect the driveshaft.

     A question -- If the transmission lube is at the proper level when it's at
the edge of the filler plug --- How can one stick in another
quart/pint/whatever?  Tip the car on its side?

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB