Re: 1974 Midget Reversing Lamps

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: 1974 Midget Reversing Lamps
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:02:54 -0500
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Just a week or so later, they started
> malfunctioning so that they were always on - except when in neutral.  I
> know; it's bizarre.  I put the newly purchased reversing lamp switch this
> evening.  What a no fun job - pulled out two spade connectors I didn't need
> to and had a devil of a time getting them back in.

Hmmm. Phil, this may be one of those times that you do a Simpsons impersonation.
How does that go? "Doh!" My guess is that you have the wiring reversed between
the seat belt warning switch and the reverse switch. The former switch is
supposed to allow continuity when in gear.

In the Bentley book, (Appendix Nb 13, page 368 in my edition) it shows the
location of the seat belt warning switch. It's on the left side towards the end
of the remote control casting. The reverse switch is on the front, right of the
shifter housing and points towards the motor.

It may be that you have the wires crossed somewhere between the switch and the
wring harness.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City
"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function."