Re: Directionals/Emergency Flashers

To: RossOvercash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Directionals/Emergency Flashers
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:21:26 +0000
RossOvercash wrote:

> Well now the big problem area seems to be the directionals and emergency
> flashers.  The emergency flashers only work on the drivers side and the
> directionals don't work at all.  I've done a bit of the usual trouble
> shooting.  Cleaned the fuse, checked for power etc.  I'm going to try to
> start at the steering column and trace things and see what I find.
> Probvably a bad ground or a dirty contact.  Just wondered if anyone has had
> a similar experieince and if I should expect anything other than a dirty
> contact to be the problem...
>
> If the flasher is dead will that cause the directionals to not work?
>
> Could the four way flasher be partially dead?

The hazard flasher does not operate each side independantly - one of the
functions of
the hazard switch is to connect both sides together.  It could be this contact,
or the
wiring, or grounds or bulbs.  Try manually jumpering the green/white to the
green/red at
various points along the circuit while the hazards are on.  Don't ground the
jumper
wire, though, you will probably blow the in-line fuse.

The hazard flasher is independant of the turn flasher, but another of the
functions of
the hazard switch is to disconnect the green (fused ignition) circuit to the
turn
flasher when the hazards are switched on, and this contact is a frequent cause
of turn
signals not working.  Again, try jumpering this contact on the hazard switch,
it is the
two greens.

PaulH.