Re: choke cable positioning

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: choke cable positioning
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:08:18 +0000
MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:

> EARLY OLD choke cables PUSH open the choke valve.  Old choke cables have an
> inner cable made of a single thick strand of wire.  Newer replacements have
> wire in them no different than picture hanging wires... many small wire
> threads braided.  They cannot be made to push the choke valve open, then can
> only pull it open and hope that it closes by itself when the choke is
> released.   I found this out when I got a new choke cable for my MG Magnette
> Mk. III with the "modern" braided wire inside.   On the MG Mk. III the choke
> inner wire literally has to push the very stiff choke valve shut.  The newer
> wire simply bent and the choke stayed wide open.
>
>   Just looking at "Original MGB" and it appears that the choke cable was
> changed when a heat sheild was enlarged/added/modified, a bracket for the
> choke cable sprouted.  I have seen many MGBs with the bracket missing and the
> choke cable threaded through some of the superflous holes in the carbs.
>
>    John

*All* MGB chokes are pull on, spring back.  HS4 and early HIF4s do have the
inner
attached to a fixed bracket and the sheath attached to the choke operating
lever, both single-strand and multi-strand, although the fixed mounting point
did move
from being part of the front air-cleaner fixing to what looks like the inlet
manifold,
possibly with the HIF4s.  The cable could have changed from being bottom
mounted to top
mounted with the rubber bumpers.

PaulH.