Oh dear!

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oh dear!
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:21:17 +0100
MG TEAM DELAYS BONNEVILLE ATTEMPT
MG Cars' attempt to record the fastest ever speed in an MG, at the 50th
Bonneville Speedweek festivities in Utah, have been delayed with news
that their specially designed EX255 car is not going to be complete in
time to participate at this significant event.

The objective of exceeding the long established records, set in EX181 of
245.64mph by Stirling Moss in 1957 and 254.91mph by Phil Hill in 1959,
with a car based on the successful MGF sports car has met with delay
despite the MG team's relentless efforts, whilst in the USA.

Nick Stephenson, Rover Group's Design and Engineering Director said "We
are confident that this car is a winner, but time was not on our side. I
would like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors for their
invaluable support and we will re-schedule our record attempt for the
near future."

Nick Vandervell, Corporate Affairs Manager for Fina Plc (the project's
main sponsor) said "It would have been great to exceed the record at the
50th Speedweek festivities in Bonneville. We share the frustration of
the whole team and I am sure they will succeed."

Andy Green, driver of the MG EX255 and more famously as driver of Thrust
SSC, the fastest man on earth, reflected "Our team have produced a
formidable machine that is easily capable of achieving our aims. This is
a great car and I am excited at continuing my association with the team
and the prospect of driving the fastest MG ever."

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk