Re: 79 MGB Roadster Alternator Problems

To: john.kahoon@juno.com (John c Kahoon), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 79 MGB Roadster Alternator Problems
From: Tom McLaughlin <tomm@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:05:47 -0500
At 06:12 AM 9/1/98 -0400, John c Kahoon wrote:
>Does yor car have a "remote" voltage regulator ? If so, I'd be checking
<snip>Your voltage reg. sends 12v to the Gen/Alt to turn ON the field windings
>when it sees the
>voltage drop below a certain point. When ON it should put out about
>14/14.5 v, off
>about 1.5v (thats also why a DEAD battery will not get recharged, not
>enough volts to operate
>the field windings )
<snip>

Hmmmmm.....I ran my battery down a few days ago on my 77B (left the fan on
accidentally, another story) and now the battery will not charge.  I jumped
it last night and checked the voltage at the battery, never more than about
7.5 volts.  It runs really, really rough, but I thought that's because I
was still screwing with the mixture.  I thought the alternator was shot and
was going to pull it off tonight and have it tested.  Could it be that I
just have to charge the battery and all will be well...well, as well as it
was before???  The battery and alternator were replaced about 8 months ago.
 I know that doesn't mean much, but I thought I would mention it.  I don't
know if it has a "remote" voltage regulator or not.  My problem is that I
always seem to have multiple problems!

Tom
77B