Re: 79 MGB Roadster Alternator Problems

To: John c Kahoon <john.kahoon@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 79 MGB Roadster Alternator Problems
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 20:13:53 +0000
John c Kahoon wrote:

> My generator won't charge a dead battery, it has field windings, and
> unless you put
> 12volts to the windings, it only puts out 1.5volts.

That 1.5v is generated by the magnetism stored withing the iron parts of the
generator.  In a working system this 1.5v output is connected back to the field
windings which increases the magnetic field which increases the output voltage
which
when fed back to the field windings increases the magnetic field etc. etc. etc.

If you only see 1.5v at the output it is because the output is not connected
back to
the field.

PaulH.