RE: Insurance for LBCs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Insurance for LBCs
From: martens@auditor.sk.ca
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:35:01 -0600
After reading the posts on the problems some owners have had in getting
insurance at a reasonable cost, esp. drivers under 25, I appreciate living
in Saskatchewan, Canada.  Here, basic vehicle insurance is sold by the
government (combined with vehicle registration plates) and rates are
favourable.  The rates are based on the claims rate for each vehicle, no
matter the age of the driver. Therefore, the rate on a Camaro is higher
than a sedan whether the driver is 20 or 50 years old.  Accidents and
tickets attract "points" that affect the cost of a person's annual drivers
license (basic $25 per year)  eg an accident could raise it by $50/year for
a few years until your points fall off.

The good news is the good rates for MGs.  The annual rate for my 73 MGB is
$357 per year.  Standard coverage includes collision, comprehensive, and
public liability of $200,000.  They just raised the deductible is $700.   I
buy additional insurance from a private company to boost the liability
coverage to $1million and to reduce the deductible on the comprehensive to
$100 - that costs another $59 per year.  You can also buy insurance to
reduce your collision deductible to $100 for under $100.  But it doesn't
end there.  It is cheaper to buy Storage insurance for the winter months
when I'm not driving it (ie about $50 for 6 months), so this year I renewed
my registration/insurance for 6 months (April to October) at a cost of
$192.

Andrew Martens
Regina, Sask
73 MGB