Intermittant Ignition Problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Intermittant Ignition Problem
From: Eric Zambori <eaz@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:36:10 -0700
I'm having a strange problem with my 72 B.  My ignition is cutting out.
It just happens as I'm driving.  Everthing is going well and then the
engine just stops.  The first time it happened, I was able to restart it
after about a half hour of troubleshooting.  Using a test light, I show
no voltage going to the coil.  I removed the + connector from the coil
and put it back on - no change.  5 minutes later I rechecked with the
test light and it had voltage.  I assumed that I must have missed the
terminal with the test light probe and that the connector was dirty and
the act of reinstalling it had cleaned it up.  The second time it cut
out, I did the same thing right away but it still did not have voltage
and would not restart.  I used a jumper wire from the fuse box directly
to the coil and it starts and runs fine.  So I removed the jumper wire
and started troubleshooting again.  I traced the wiring in the wiring
diagram and it shows it going to the ignition switch.  So I removed the
plastic covering around the column and went to get my test light but
decided to test for voltage at the coil again and voila, it had
voltage.  The act of removing the column covering fixed the problem.
Anyone have any ideas?  Bad ignition switch or bad connections at the
bullet connectors leading from the switch?
By the way, I just got the car back from being painted and it looks like
there was a considerable amount of wet sanding done and the dash board
area hadn't been covered very well and is a mess.
THANKS
Eric Zambori