Re: Midget is on the road

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Midget is on the road
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 18:03:39
At 06:03 PM 9/3/98 -0400, William M. Gilroy wrote:
>I finally got my 77 Midget on the road. ....
>After I reset the trip meter (it was the second time I reset) both the
odometer and the trip meter stopped working.  The speedometer  still works.
 Go figure.

Try this for starters.  It's MGA, not Midget, but it's a good primer on the
subject.

http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/speedo/st1.htm

When one ODO quits, it's usually a couple of teeth missing from the driven
fiber gear on the jack shaft.  If both ODOs quit at the same time, it would
be a huge coincidence, but it could be both fiber gears failed at about the
same time.  This condition is aggrevated by a long period of storage, when
the speedo parts can get dirty and sticky from non-use.

The only part in there being shared by the two ODOs is the large diameter
single lead worm gear that drives the fiber gears.  It could be that this
brass wheel came loose from the speedo input shaft.

Keep in touch,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude