Re: Turn Signals And Tail Lights

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Turn Signals And Tail Lights
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:44:24 -0700
Word on the street is that Rob Becker said:
> Ok.. I own a 65 MGB, and the turn signals, and tail lights don't work.  I
> took off the plastic cover to the turn signals, and I used my multimeter to
> test to see if there was any power going to the signals.  Well there is 30
> volts.. What is up with that?  it is a 12 volt battery.. is there a
> transformer on MGB's??

I don't really understand how 30v could be coming out the turn signal base,
it should be getting 11-12 volts. You say the whole electrical system is
shot so I assume the parking lights don't work either.  Do you have a
manual?  If not I suggest you get the Haynes manual (you can buy it for $13
by following this link)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0856966231/themgbexperienc/

The wiring diagram for Mark I (up to 1967) cars is really very simple.  You
may want to photocopy the page and trace the circuits you are interested in
with a coloured pencil as it sounds like you have much fun troubleshooting
ahead of you. Your wiring diagram is on page 190

For the turn signals in particular, they should have a green (gree+/white on
the other side of the car) wire and be grounded to chassis.  The green wire
can be traced to the indicator stalk, you may want to check continuity and
the voltage at the switch also. They are fed power from the stalk by a
light green+brown wire which goes to the flasher unit (probably under the
fascia on the passenger's side).

If your fuse box (in the engine bay, somewhere near the coil) is horribly
corroded (as mine was) I recommend buying a new one as they are only $10
with a new cover and can solve a lot of problems.  With all electrical
problems, first always check the ground.  Dirty ground connections are a
very common cause of problems...

You may find my Lucas wiring guide helpful...

http://www.mgb.bc.ca/service/lucas-colours.html

Good luck!

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__     "The Bomber"
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     zoooom!