Of Radios, Antennas, and such. Repost

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Of Radios, Antennas, and such. Repost
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:54:21 -0500
Radios were installed on this side of the pond. No point in adding to the
weight of the car or the tax. Most of them were either Motorola or Automatic
Electric. Skye was correct when he said his radio which had British Motor
Corporation on the dial was made in the US. I have one with the same
designation on the dial and loads of parts with the Motorola logo on them. I
also have several British Leleand radios with US parts in them, and only one
with no marks at all, a manufacturers trick to cover up its origin.

I didn't mark the mail, but the person who thought they had a Radiomobile
probably hasn't. It would fit better. If it has several short wave bands I
will stand corrected. IF ANYONE HAS A RADIOMOBILE WITH SHORT WAVE BANDS FOR
SALE LET ME KNOW! My other hobby is amateur radio and I enjoy listening to
short wave broadcasts. The radio in the BGT is a Becker, but that has only
the 49 meter band on it.

As I mentioned to Fred Pixley, the Radio Shack 12-1306  is the exact
duplicate of the antennas that I installed as a teenager working in a radio
shop 50 years ago. I used one on my original bug-eye, and have them on all
my lbcs. They are simple, inexpensive, easy to install, and were the common
antenna of the time.

Interesting that the installation plus/minus thread is being pressed on the
Healey list. One person wanted a positive ground antenna! No such thing. The
mast is isolated from ground and the connecting coax cable is grounded at
the antenna and the radio chassis to eliminate as much rf interference as
possible. Unfortunately it also might come in through the power cable which
requires a different answer. See your Radio Shack Catalog for the cure.
Probably in the CB section. Before carbon resistor wires we always put a
resister module in the high tension lead from the coil to the distributor.
Not needed now.

Jack