Windscreen installation instructions

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Windscreen installation instructions
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:08:54 -0700
Since several of you have already responded that you didn't see Steve
Bettencourt's previous post, here are the instructions (with a few things I
learned thrown in for good measure).  Additional good sources of help are
the windscreen installation instructions in the Porter book and the Moss
catalog.  Please note that I did not replace the windscreen glass--I merely
replaced the frame to body seal and the pillar post pads and remounted the
windscreen on the car.  Also, the dashboard remained in place the entire
time.  My thanks again to Steve for posting these in the first place:

1) The day prior to installing the windscreen, I coated the frame to body
seal with dish soap and had a partner help pull the seal into place while I
fed it in through one of the screw hole openings.  This was the most
demanding part of the entire operation and will take the most patience.  I
then placed pillar post pads into position.
2) I then slid a long piece of soft cotton rope into the portion of the
seal that will form the flap where the windscreen meets the body.
3) The windscreen was eased into position and the two center bolts were
started.  I tightened these bolts enough to begin compressing the seal.  At
this time I pulled the rope out, beginning at one end of the windscreen.
This pulled the flap out from under the seal and set it into its final
position.
4) I went to bed and let the weight of the windscreen begin compressing the
seal.
5) The next day, I parked the car in the direct sunlight for about an hour
to soften up the rubber seal.
6) I applied a bead of silicone sealer under the flap where it meets the
body and under the seal where it meets the dashboard.
7) I applied several layers of masking tape to the horizontal dogleg of the
pillar posts and to the pop-riveted dogleg covers on the inside of the
fender.  These are the contacts points for the C clamp.  It is hard to
explain where these areas are, but it becomes quite obvious when viewing
the car with the doors open.  They are the only places a 4" C clamp could
possibly mount to achieve our purpose.
8) I did one side of the windscreen at a time.  The C clamp was placed and
tightened until I was able to start the lower bolt.  It takes a little
trial and error to get it just right, but the entire process took about a
minute.  I tightened the lower bolt finger tight and moved the C clamp to
align the top hole (it might help to use a small screwdriver to "feel" when
the bolt hole is accessible.)  The top bolt was also finger tightened.
9) Repeat for the other side.
10) I then tightened the two center bolts and finally tightened the pillar
bolts.  Prior to tightening, check the alignment with the door vent windows
and adjust accordingly.  Tightening of the pillar bolts was accomplished
using a standard 9/16" open end wrench.

With a bit of luck, Barney or someone else will re-write this in a more
concise fashion.

Good luck!

Scott McKorkle
1978 MGB