MG land speed record attempt.

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MG land speed record attempt.
From: "Nunez, Eduardo" <Eduardo.Nunez@eng.ped.gmeds.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:04:23 -0400
List,

This is just off the latest issue of 'Automotive Industries' magazine
(8/98).  The following is quoted from that issue:

"MG Goes Back To The Future"

        "As automakers look to past triumphs for present glory, nobody
needs something to crow about more than MG.  The long-dormant brand
hopes to repeat history 40 years later by setting a speed record at the
Bonneville Flats in Utah."
        "In 1959, Phil Hill, who became America's first F1 world
champion, drove an MG streamliner across Bonneville to a class record
254.91 mph.  This year MG will send a factory team to Bonneville in an
effort to break that 39-year-old mark.  Rover engineers figure the car
will need 600 hp to crack 255 mph.  They hope to produce 900 hp with a
twin-supercharged Rover V-8, the same Buick-based engine that powers the
Range Rover."

There is what looks like a computer rendering of a gold(?) colored MG
streamliner with the article.  I could scan it and post it somewhere
where everybody could get to it.  I don't think it could be attached to
a message to this list.  If somebody wants it please let me know where
it could be sent to for general consumption.

On the same page there is a short write up about the new BMX Z3-based M
coupe about how it does not photograph well (I  can vouch for that fact
from the picture) but how it 'looks great on the road' (their words).
It also notes that the engine produces some 321-hp.  I have not seem the
coupe, but I did see some of the early Euro spec Z3's with the high
output engine at the Spartanburg, SC, plant and they were lighting up
the rubber pretty easily under the feet of the enthusiastic German
engineers.  I think that the M coupe is as close to a modern day MGBGT
as we'll get for now.

Ed Nunez
75B - longing for attention