MGA 1600 - fitting an electronic ignition

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA 1600 - fitting an electronic ignition
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:46:15 -0400
An unhealthy, irrational fear (or complete lack of understanding or
comfort level on setting them) of points and condensers is prompting me
to consider going to some sort of electronic ignition on my 1960 MGA
1600.

I see that Moss offers an electronic ignition system that replaces the
points and condenser in the distributor that is made, I believe, by
Pertronix and is marketed as the IGNITOR Electronic Ignition  In their
catalog, it lists for $99.95.

Has anyone on the list ever installed this IGNITOR ignition?  Has it
proven reliable?

Interestingly, the J C Whitney summer sale catalog also lists Pertronix
Ignitor electronic ignitions for $67.69.  If anyone on the list has
installed an Ignitor on their MGA, TR3-4A, or Sprite/Midget (except
1500) could you send me the IGNITOR stock number off the unit so I can
see if the $30 savings could work

Thanks for your help.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA