Carbs, cats(!),etc. was:Re: Clearance troubles...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carbs, cats(!),etc. was:Re: Clearance troubles...
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:32:33 -0500
Steve Sanchez said:

>Dear Listers,
>I am now the proud owner of a beautiful dual HIF 4 set up complete with all
>the little goodies to go with it.  I bought the setup from a guy who had it on
>his '77 'B with no problems. I have since put it on my '77 'B, and WOW!  It is
>no longer "OK, let's go," but "OK, hold on!!!"  My problem is when I put that
>engine in a year ago, we were only able to get the left hand motor mount in
>upside down...BIG SNIP
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Steve Sanchez
>"behind the wheel on holding on in a '77 'B"

Speaking of dual carb conversions, etc, what, in listers experience, is the
primary cause for the loss of horsepower on later B's? I know there is a
change in carburetion, addition of an air pump, and a cat converter. Is
there anything else? What is responsible for the lion's share of lost
horsepower? I assume it is "breathing" related because very little torque
is lost, but hp peaks at a lower rpm (and the peak is less).