MGF and roadster thoughts WAS Re: terrible joke -

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGF and roadster thoughts WAS Re: terrible joke -
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:45:14 -0500
I didn't mean this to be a thesis statement, but IMVHO:
Reliability rumors would certainly KILL any hopes of MG getting over here to
the states.
Unfortunately, BMW would be loath to allow what I'm thinking (below) to
happen . I wouldn't be surprised if the powers-that-be in Munich are
intentionally letting the MGF flounder, since it's a direct competitor with
the Z3. (call me cynical and conspiratorial, hell, the rest of my
countryfolk tend to be!)
I'm still waiting for Chrysler to produce a Neon-chassied roadster, with the
same general price-tag ($10-13K base)- it would KILL the Miata here, as long
as it took some cues from a british car like the Mazda people did, and
specifically have MGB cues with a GT model following right behind. Let's not
forget that chrysler owns the brain-trust of Maserati...and who designed the
GT. Not to mention their efficiency at CAD assisted production timelines.
Granted, Chrysler convertibles have been total flops since the early '80's,
other than the Viper, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans
in the offing right now for an inexpensive, no frills roadster. And didn't
the Triumph Stag have a Chrysler V8 in it?
Now, if BMW were willing to sell the rights to the MG logo (or, let's be
objective here for once, Tr**mph) and name to Chrysler/Mercedes....hehehe.
Naaahhhhh! That would never happen, but the concept is the same no matter
who does it. If Rover/BMW wants to break the Miata grip on that powerful yet
nebulous "American market/mentality", they could,of course "un-fit" the Z3
with vinyl/cloth interior, no A/C, wind up windows, etc....but that damned
Z3 will still look like the teutonic thing that it is. America wants a
BRITISH roadster dammit, and I think the Lotus lookalike proves it.
Mazda had it right, but the cost has soared, and a lot of that cost has to
do with importation.
Flame away, since this was just a "fleeting" thought. If I'm wrong, well I
can always fall back on the fact that I have absolutely NO emperical data or
experience in the automotive industry to back me up. ;)

Dan
73 B

the MGF is getting a rough time, it is