Re: SU Carbs- - -Fuel Pressure

To: John c Kahoon <john.kahoon@juno.com>
Subject: Re: SU Carbs- - -Fuel Pressure
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:41:59 -0700
John c Kahoon wrote:

> I thuoght the SU Fool pumps were supposed to "do" 2-3 psi  Hence all the
> leaky float valves
>    ;-}
>
> john.kahoon@juno.com
> 71 midget
>
> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:07:13 +0000 "Matt Milkevitch" <milkm@mail.vt.edu>
> writes:
> >Hello All---
> >
> >         Got a quick question.   Over the weekend I had the chance to
> >re-install my SU
> >HIF4's (all redone, these are replacing a weber DGV) and had a quick
> >question.  Does anyone know the correct fuel pump pressure for SU
> >carbs??  The PO of my BGT installed an aftermarket fuel pump, and it
> >puts out 2.1 psi at the carbs.  Just wondering...in Peter Burgess's
> >book "How to Power Tune MGB Engines," he states that SU's work best
> >at 1.5 psi.  Wondering if I should install a fuel pressure
> >regulator...
> >

> >          Thanks for the help,
> >
> >           Matt Milkevitch
> >           '74 MGBGT
> >Matthew Milkevitch
> >Graduate Student, Ph.D. Candidate
> >Dr. Karen J. Brewer(Chem), Advisor
> >Dr. Brenda W. Shirley(Biol), Co-Advisor
> >Va. Tech
> >Blacksburg, VA  24061
> >(540) 231-4708

Do you know there were ( are) two SU pumps, one for the rear end
fitting, the " high-pressure" version as in the MGB, Magnettes, etc. The
other was a " low-pressure" version, for fitting under the bonnet (
hood) as in the 'Y' series, TD/TF, Morris Minor, etc.

The only info I have is that a Morris Minor type is a Type 'L' ( for
low) with .75 to 1.0 lb/in pressure. Front end type.....

The other is the Magnettes,Type PD ( early) pressure 2 to 3 lb/in.
                     (later) Type SP, 2 to 3.8 lb/in. Rear end type....

Neil.