Oil usage

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil usage
From: imscience@juno.com (G L Cook)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:16:07 -0400
Today marks the first anniversary of the installation of a '71-'73
vintage 'B motor in my detoxed '80B.  The motor was rebuilt in the UK by
a company called "Starmag".  I've been happy with it except for oil
usage.  It uses about 1 qt of Castrol 20-50 per 700-1000 miles (a month,
normally), about half which is leakage. (I drove hard 700 miles one
weekend and burned a pint).   I don't mind the leakage so much as the
burning.  Until something went on the original motor, I never had to add
oil to it between changes.  Is this amount typical for a rebuilt motor of
this age?  BTW, my milage is great, 30+ mpg.