Re: Carb mixture adjustment...

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Carb mixture adjustment...
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 19:48:24 +0000
Skye Poier wrote:

> Quick question,
>
> In in the SU tuning guides I've read (Roger Garnett's and the Haynes manual)
> it describes a step where you adjust the mixture on one carb until the idle
> is as high as possible without misfiring, and then adjusting the other carb.
> It doesn't state it explicitly in either guide, but I take it to mean you
> then adjust the other carb to the same mixture setting as the one you
> just did?  (before going back and adjusting the throttle screws again and
> repeating the whole processes)
>
> I assume so, otherwise what would be the point of keeping track of # of
> flats... but I thought I'd check.

Starting with the jets flush wih the bridge then turning them down 12
flats is to get them to an approximate starting point.  You then adjust
the mixtures independantly for max rpm, then adjust the idle screws
independantly for equal 'suck'.  The carbs are now balanced.  Tighten
the throttle shaft screws and check that you still have equal suck both
at idle and a little off it.  Any subsequent adjustments, to either
mixture or idle speed, should now be made to both carbs equally to
maintain the balance.

PaulH.