more tuning problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: more tuning problems
From: Matt Gaetke <mgaetke@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:39:51 -0400
        OK, here's the situation.  I found the timing marks on the block,
they were recessed behind the pulley, such that they could only be seen from
a very low angle.  No problem, a little white out, and I was back in business.

        Of course, futher problems arose:

        First off, when I adjust the distributer to the point where the
timing marks align properly, the engine all but dies (actually it usually
gives up on me).  It runs best when the timing is well advanced (that's
anti-clockwise, right?  say, 25 deg BTDC instead of 12 deg BTDC) of that
point.  The other problem is that I can't run the engine at the 600 rpm
recommended in Haynes (at least that's the rpm listed with the 12 degrees),
see below.

        I know the carbs are not balanced/not adjusted properly, and the
engine sounds like it's running rich.  Further evidence of this is a
considerable amount of dry, black carbon on the plugs (it doesn't look at
all oily).  It also misses occasionally (timing?).  Of course there is a
contradiction: the only way I seem to be able to keep the engine running at
low (<1800 rpm) is with about 1/2" of choke.  I thought it could just be
that the idle screws were out too far and it wasn't getting enough gas
without the fast-idle cams ingaged, but with the choke in (even giving it
more gas) it kills every time.  Nothing I've tried yet lets me run it below
1000 rpm.

        I don't know how to call this one.  I've got a new condensor and new
points on order.  The only part of the HT side that's not new is the coil.
Maybe I just need to start over from scratch.  If so, how do I do this (step
by step to the smallest minutia :) )?  How do I get the engine running at
600 rpm to adjust the timing with the carbs messed up?  I'd like to think
I'm not in over my head, but I could really use some advice.  Anyone want to
take an aspiring mechanic under their wing?  Thanks, guys.

  -Matt