Prolong oil treatment (aka snake oil)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Prolong oil treatment (aka snake oil)
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:46:41 EDT
FWIW file
This was sent to me today by a friend;

>From the October issue of Consumer Reports:

Prolong Claims "Creates a low-friction surface one molecule thick"

     The bond is supposed to last even when the oil is drained. In the
infomercial, Unser and others drive along a racetrack in the Mojave
Desert
without oil or oil drain plugs. The same ad, broadcast nationally,
pictures
a woman who, thanks to "Prolong" supposedly drove from Santa Barbara to
Los
Angeles without oil. (The reason she stopped after 4 hours,40 minutes,
and 7
seconds? She was hungry.)
     We didn't test the other claims, but we did see whether "Prolong"
would
protect an engine after the oil was drained.
     We installed a factory-rebuilt GM 4.3-liter V6 engine into each of
two
Chevrolet Caprices. We broke them in with Pennzoil motor oil, changed the
oil and oil filter in each car, and added "Prolong" to one of them.
"Prolong" claims to work immediately. We drove more than 100 miles, then
drained the oil and started driving again. After  only 13 minutes and
five
miles,  BOTH engines failed SIMULTANEOUSLY.
     Today's high-quality oils don't need extra additives. The Federal
Trade
Commission has told the makers of other additives to stop making false
claims. We have notified the FTC about this test.