Re: TD Clutch Slipping

To: MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Slipping
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:34:14 EDT
Hi Mark,
  I put in a new clutch this April, as part of the rebuilding of the
engine.  It is a DIY job.
  You can approach it two ways, removing the engine or removing the
gearbox. While I removed the engine, and would probably do it that way
again, a recent visit to a repair shop revealed a TD that was getting  a
new clutch by means of the gearbox being removed. Shop owner says that's
the easier way and recommends doing it that way.
  Moss was not carrying the TD clutch (TD2 clutch) when I ordered, so
substituted the MGA clutch. It works fine, though the pedal pressure may
be a bit greater.
  Either way, engine or trans removed, you will need to remove the trans
tunnel, which is the worst part of the job.  Try to keep track of the
bolts as you remove them. My car had bolts of at least three different
lengths. If you put  the car is up on jackstands, keep it there until the
trans tunnel is back in place. The flexing of the chassis makes
reinstallation of the tunnel difficult if the car is taken off the
stands.
Bob