RE: Noisy tappet

To: "'Skye Poier'" <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>, MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Noisy tappet
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:09:15 -0500
> I rechecked my work, and one of the tappets on #3 cylinder
> was very tight.
> "Thats strange", I thought, "I had trouble with that one
> before, I couldn't
> get the locking nut very tight it felt spongy".  So I
> re-adjust and now the
> locking nut feels even worse.  "Oh great, its stripped", says I, and I
> take it off to find the nut's threads gleefully wrapped
> around the adjusting
> screw.  I carefully pried them off and zoomed over to OMG and
> picked up
> some new nuts, gapped and installed, noise gone.
>
> I'm very glad it didn't fall off or other such ickiness when
> I was driving it!

        Well, since I just experienced this very thing, let me tell you
what happens - In my case, it was an exhaust valve in question. The
screw backed off so the exhaust valve didn't open. The engine has good
compression (145 lbs), so the exhaust came out the intake port. This did
two things: 1) it blew the intake gasket out on top and bottom of both
intake ports, 2) it also blew the rear plug out of the intake manifold.
By some miracle I've yet to understand, the plug landed on the body seam
in the bottom of the engine bay.

All this in about a mile of driving.

Dan Pockrus
'74 CBB