Re: Dash pot oil?

To: <JustBrits@aol.com>, <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>,
Subject: Re: Dash pot oil?
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:54:47 -0700
Goodness, Ed, you do like to put the fear of you-know-who into people!

The most noticeable effect of running too thick an oil in the dashpots is
that the engine will run rich. The manifold vacuum will suck lots of fuel
out of the jet but the piston will be slower to rise, thus not allowing
enough air to mix with the fuel to achieve the right stoichometric ratio.
That's why running too thin an oil (such as Marvel Mystery) makes the engine
sputter; it gets to lean a mixture as the piston rises too quickly and
allows more air than is needed for the available fuel.

It will only "DIE" if the excessive richness overpowers the spark - which,
I'll admit, could happen under certain circumstances.

Lawrie