Re: Dash pot oil?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dash pot oil?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:27:02 -0600
>What will an engine do if the dashpot oil is too thick?
>
>Michael S. Lishego
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

On one occassion, in subzero weather, my carbs got stuck. The carb piston
could not move up. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out why my car
wouldn't start - it had spark and the fuel bowls were full. HS4 carbs.
Finally a friend with much more MG experience showed me what was wrong.

That was many years ago. The original MG manuals were pretty vague on
dashpot oil. They just said to use mineral oil.

I took it literally and since then have used mineral oil. You can find it
in some drug stores still. A more common version is baby oil, which is
merely scented mineral oil (haven't tried the baby oil though).

The mineral oil is a thin viscosity and doesn't thicken in very cold
temperatures. I would suspect the Marvel mystery oil would also work pretty
good.

Of course if you live where its warm, regular motor oils might work as well.

David
71 BGT