MGB engine on the rise (was Re: MGB dead engine report.)

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>,
Subject: MGB engine on the rise (was Re: MGB dead engine report.)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 00:41:25 -0400
Rick Morrison wrote:
> Sounds like you got out lucky Trevor. A full rebuild may not be called
> for right now.

  I am hoping. I checked and checked and the bores seem great.
Surprising
because I retreived a grand total of *ONE* intact ring out of eight
from the bores. But I couldn't find a single score that I could
reliably feel with my fingernail. I'd THINK I found one, but when
I tried again it was gone.

>  But dont just stick the rings back in. There is a very real probability
> that the ridge will crack the new top ring in short order.  Beg, borrow
> or steal a ridge reamer and remove the offending protrusions.

  I was ready to buy one, but I balked. The only one I could find
anywhere close to locally would be over $100 after taxes.

  I am sort of trying to weigh it out. There is only one spot on
all four cylinders that I can feel a ridge. I had no problem getting
any the pistons out. I have also heard from more than one source
that a ridge reamer might not be a good idea for an engine in situ,
because getting the swarf out might be hard.

  I have also been told to use stepped rings, but the prices are
higher and I can't get them "in a day" like I can with normal rings
from NAPA.

  I guess I am "undecided". I guess I am trying to weigh my odds
here. This whole operation is only costing me $100 or so, buying
a ridge reamer would double that. I know the engine is worth more
than $100, I guess I am just hoping to be lucky.

>  Second, before reinstalling the rings, hone the cylinders. The glass
> like surface you are looking at will make ring seating next to
> impossible. Again, beg, borrow or steal an appropriate sized cylinder
> hone and "bust the glaze" on the walls.

  I bought the hone, and have a rough idea of use. Can you give me
a summary of use, and also an idea of when to stop?

> Go ahead and replace the bearings while you've got them off. No sense
> having that to worry about later.

  I've been told enough times that I will certainly do this. I guess
now is a good time, they are cheap.

  On the positive side, I was able to salvage my head. I went to
a shop and was able to borrow some tools and advice to get the job
done. I just needed an exhaust valve, a bit of grinding, and
a light lapping on all the valves. The head seems ready to go,
if I can just get this bottom back together!

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca