RE: SU fuel pump rebuild

To: "'David Councill'" <dcouncil@imt.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: SU fuel pump rebuild
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 19:52:20 -0400
David Council wrote:

> And that is where the latest problem - the Moss catalogue
> references two diaphragms - one with a shaft of 3", the
> other with a shaft of 2 3/8".
>
> I know several of you have rebuilt their pumps. Which one
> is the like correct one - assuming stock 71 SU fuel pump?

My WAG ... 2-3/8".  Measure the solenoid (cast iron lump
between the alloy base and Bakelite cover) ... the solenoid
that takes the 2-3/8" diaphragm will measure 'bout 2-1/4"
whereas the one that takes the 3" diaphragm will measure
'bout 2-7/8".

> And what other parts do I need besides the diaphragm and
> points?

Gaskets ... your points seem to have functioned admirably,
but you might consider either one of the new fangled "zener
diodes" or the transistor/diode combo, if not already fitted.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII