MGA & TD suspension bushing reaming, now on line

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA & TD suspension bushing reaming, now on line
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 06:01:44
Greeting to all ye shade tree mechanics,

The question occasionally comes up as to where to find a machine shop to
install and machine the MGA or TD front suspension swivel link bushings.
Well, it finally got asked once often enough, and this time by someone
close to my home, so I made some special arrangements.

Thanks to Ron Olds of Glen Ellyn, Illinois, for the loan of his MG TD
swivel links, and a roll of film and photo finishing.  After about one hour
in my garage I have the photos to show how you can do the job at home
without having to engage the services of a machine shop, and without a
drill press or milling machine.

For all the nifty details and a picture tour of the (simple) process, point
a browser to this address and follow the links to Suspension Tech:

   http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mg01.htm

And if there are any MGB or MG Midget (or any other LBC with kingpins)
folks reading this, the general technique may also be applicable to reaming
kingpin bushings at home with a cheap general purpose chucking reamer
rather than spending big money on a special purpose piloted kingpin bushing
reamer.  If anyone decides to give this a try on kingpin bushings, I'd like
to hear about the results.

Cheers (and happy reaming),

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude