Re: Was New radio for our 73 B

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Was New radio for our 73 B
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 07:39:39 EDT
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:33:37 -0400 "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
writes:
>    I just put in a new radio this weekend in my '74.  The biggest
>problem I
>ran into was the mounting depth - I have a newer radio/tape deck and
>it was
>too large for the console.  To get it to fit one way, I filed about a
>quarter inch off each side of the hole in the console.  Even further,
>found that the back of the radio hit the air ducts coming from the
>heater.
>I looked at it, and decided that it didn't look too bad sticking out
>about a
>half inch.  I know it's not perfect, but it works.
>Michael S. Lishego
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

Two possible fixes for this - ive used both so can attest to their
"eureka" quotient.

1) the easy one - most radio places will sell different types of framing
shrouds that go around the units facia - i have one on the 69 that is
about an inch deep - works fine but of course the unit protrudes about an
inch from the front of the centre console

2)the hard one - i fitted a Denon unit in the GT and came across the same
problem of fouling the heater tubes so i relocated them to the sides of
the heater box - its easy enough with a hole saw - then just rivet a
piece of metal over the original holes in the plate at the front of the
heater box - doing it this way the unit will rest nicely on the frame -
dont forget to pad it a little! -

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]